Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

DIY bath crayons

I saw a blog about using soap to make bath crayons for kid. Since my nieces and nephews love playing in the tub I figured it would be great gift. I don't typical have bar soap (I use liquid soap) so I had to get some. I work for a dermatologist so I didn't have to go far to get bar soap. Dove had just sent my office a bunch of samples and we don't give them out that often.
Two boxes of tiny soap! This should be a cheap and hopefully easy craft :)






I followed the blogs directions and shaved down the soap. I tried using my food processor the soap was so hard it didn't work. The motor made a funny sound and I think it started to smell (bleh). So my pampered chef slicer came to the rescue and it worked perfectly :)
It took about 5 minutes so shave down enough soap to have about 1 cup of shavings. Then I added 2 TBSP of HOT water and mixed till the shavings started to melt together. Then I added food coloring and mixed till all the soap was colored. At first I used a spoon then I switched to mixing my hand so I knew everything was being mixed in.

















Then I squished it into the mold and stuck it in the freezer for about an hour. It wasn't set so I ended up leaving it over night.  The next day I excitedly check on the soap and it was all in nice start shapes. I popped it out of the mold and was very disappointed to find that it hadn't hardened like the blog said it would :( 
I did some research and discovered that once you take the soap out of the mold you have to let it sit at least a day or three (I'd say three) before it's fully hardened! I also found some different ideas for melting the soap down and molding ideas.  So armed with my new knowledge I attempted this again. I did one batch like the original blog and the other I shaved down covered with water and microwaved in 15second intervals till it was melted and ready for color.  The other way I found was to chop up the soap, put it in a pan, cover with water and "cook" it till it's all melted.  I didn't feel like chopping up soap but I might try that some day.

Once the soap was all colored I molded it, froze it for an hour and then left it on the counter for a few days till it was no longer soft to the touch. I flipped it over everyday so that all sides got enough air to dry.

The star mold is actually a candy mold but hey it worked :)





 

I also tried using a cookie cutter as a mold. I made a tray out of foil (thanks to tip from a blog) and then greased the cutter with Crisco (just in case the soap decided to stick). I took the melted, colored soap and smushed it into the mold. It had the consistency of a weird thick gel but it molded pretty easily. I slid the whole thing onto a cookie sheet and set it in the freezer. I let it sit in there over night and when I took it out it came right out of the mold!
I had to flip it over more than the others because it was so big but it turned out pretty good.

The next mold I want to try is my mini cupcake holder. I think small round ones would be cute. I'll let you know how those turn out.

All the soap it currently sitting on a paper towel dry and ready to be used. I need to have my niece test them and see which one works best. Then I'll get to work making a bunch for all my nieces and nephews :)

4 comments:

  1. Sorry for my delay in response, but I saw that you had a question about my soap, but it looks like you came up with a solution, your's looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you use the candy molds for this. I have so many of them, and this is the perfect excuse to get them out again! did you give them to your nieces and nephews yet? I'm curious about how they liked them. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Christy- No worries! I decided to just go for it & see what happened since it really didn't cost me anything if if didn't turn out.

    @LuluMarie- I gave some to one of my nieces & they worked great till she put the soap in her eyes (she's almost 3). I'm about to send some to my niece & nephews in NC to see what they think of them. I have a feeling dove soap might need to be used for older kids. I'm now on the hunt for a bar soap that is "kid friendly" for the younger kids. If you make some I'd love to know how they turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. poor girl. Bet she had a blast up until then though. I'm definately going to try these out, I'll let you know when I do. thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete