Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Who likes crafts?

For as long as I can remember I have loved crafts! As a kid I we did projects like "speckle" painting pillow cases, making hair bows from plastic with different stuff in them (gum, candy wrappers, beads), painting shirts (I think I still have one with puff paint bows on it), painting Christmas ornaments, all kinds of stuff! I think we inherited this from our grandmother, Nanny. She used to make all kinds of things- dolls, cloths (she even had a dress shop at one point), stocking you name it she could probably make make it! Sew, knit, crochet, she did it all.

Recently I have gotten back into making things. My friend Julie told me about this amazing site called One Pretty Thing. You can find just about any kind of project listed on here! I seriously have spent HOURS on this site looking at all the DIY blogs.

It inspired me to try making some bottle cap magnets, it's amazing what paint, a few cut outs or stencils and some Tripple Thick Glaze can make! I big shout out to Jule for all her help getting these made. She had a cute printout that I got the owls & chicks from plus she had the how to knowledge :)












After making the magnets I remembered I had a plain clipboard that needed some work. I had seen a cute clipboard a friend made and decided to try it. I figured if it didn't work out I could decoupage some cute paper over it.  With that in mind I pulled out my paint and stencils and went to work.

The front
 After painting all the flowers and everything I gave it a few good coats of Mod Podge. During the painting process I decided to give it to my friend Kate. I had just painted her last name on the back when she got engaged! Thankfully I hadn't put Mod Podge on the back. I covered over the name with black paint and put what would be her new initials on there. They aren't exactly in the center but it was the best I could do... I was just happy to finally finish it!
The back
 

















I also found a great blog about cookie decorating: Bake at 350. It inspired me to make cookies as a wedding shower favor of my friend Heather. I got together with some friends to make the and we had a blast! We decided to buy cookies from a local bakery so we knew they'd be perfectly smooth but I made the icing from this blog. The icing didn't turn out quite like the blogs but it still looked and tasted pretty good! And they were a hit at the shower. Who doesn't love cookies??

The test run!
My friends & I had some fun & got creative!

2 comments:

  1. One Pretty Thing is one of my favorite sites too! Your cookies look lovely, the must have taken ages to decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I'm just getting started on the whole blogging thing so I'm way behind in what I want to post. The cookies were a lot of fun to make! I have several friends helping with them so it didn't take that long... other than us stopping to talk ;)

    ReplyDelete