Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Christmas Ornaments

I love Christmas decorations! The lights on all the houses, trees decorated with childhood ornaments, the smell of baked good! What's not to love?  This year I got inspired and decided to try my hand at making ornaments. I think they turned out pretty cute :)
I had seen a blogs about marbleized ornaments but it seemed like a time consuming process and I'm not always that patient. I asked Julie about them and she said I could use rubbing alcohol to "speedup" the process. So I headed to my favorite craft store Hobby Lobby for some half off ornaments.   This was an easy and cheap project that I couldn't pass up!
All I need was:
Glass ornaments (I got 1 3/8" ornaments)
2 (or more) colors of acrylic paint
Rubbing Alcohol (I put some in a small bottle with an eye dropper on it)


 I remove the tops and ran the ornaments through some warm soapy water to get any dust or glass particles off. They are fairly delicate so I had to be pretty gentle with them.

Once they were dry I dropped four strips of color in them (ie two green and two red). I used just enough to make a line from the top to the bottom of the ornament. I forgot to take pictures of that part... oops!  Once I had my four lines of color I added a few drops of alcohol and swirled it around. Then I got impatient, covered the opening of the ornament with my finger and shook it like crazy.  I learned a few things during that process.
1) Sometimes you need a little more paint than you first up in there
2) Sometimes you use to much paint and have to turn the ornament upside down in your dish drainer (with newspaper under the drainer to catch the paint) to get rid of the excess.
3) Sometimes you use to much alcohol and get a cool crackle effect 
Despite those lessons I think the ornaments turned out pretty cute! Once they fully dried I replaced the tops and then had to decide what I wanted to do with them. I wasn't sure if I wanted to add ribbon and hang them on my tree or use them as decorations on Christmas gifts. 

See how cute they are! I eventually decided use them as gift decorations and they were a hit. Wonder what I'll do with them next year.....

1 comment:

  1. Drying tip. Turn them upside down in an egg carton to dry. Catches the paint, and can be reused and it hold them perfectly.

    ReplyDelete