Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Painting made easier

One day I was going through One Pretty Thing and I came across a blog where a lady used a stencil transfer to paint words on the walls of her house. I live in an apartment so painting on the walls isn't an option but I has a canvas I had wanted to paint but wasn't sure what to paint. Now I'm not much of a artist and I can't draw a straight line to save myself, but after seeing HomeSpunThreads blog I decided to try her technique. I figured if it didn't turn out I could always paint over it and try something else.

The hardest part of getting started was picking what to write on the canvas. I eventually decided to put one of my favorite scriptures on it. Hebrews 11:1 "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." 
Then the real work began... It took some time but I managed to get it set just how I wanted it.
I rubbed the back of the paper with a pencil. I wasn't sure how much it needed so I just guessed and hoped I was right... fyi- I did it right!
Lined it up on the canvas and secured it with a small pieces of tape (so it wouldn't move as I traced).
I started to trace the words with the edge of a pen cap and it didn't work. So I reread the blog and realized she said ball point pen. That was WAY easier and worked perfectly
Finished the outline and got ready to paint. The pencil rubbing left some marks on the canvas but I figured I could fix that later.
No the best picture but I think it was after midnight when I took it on my phone
After the transfer was all done I started painting... I figured I had reached the point of no return so I might as well paint it and see what it looked like.
It took two coats of paint but I got it done and it didn't look too bad!
I cleaned up the edges with white paint and used a magic eraser to removed some of the pencil smudges. The eraser also smeared some of the red paint so I had to do some touch up work. If you don't look too closely you can't tell ;)  This is now proudly sitting on the top of the bookshelf in my living room! It's a great reminder of verse a pastor once quoted to me. I'm just waiting to see what inspired me next so I can paint the other canvas I have :)

No comments:

Post a Comment